Sunday, August 21, 2011

Madison Mini Marathon




I completed the Madison Mini Marathon in 1:49:53 on Saturday. Despite a very long 90-minute weather delay, the race went very well for me. Because of the long delay, I took a gel just before the start of the race and settled into an easy pace. I like to take it easy during the early miles of the half, so that I have something left in the tank as the race progresses. I ran the first mile in 8:41 by my watch - perfect. I then kicked it up a bit to somewhere between an 8:10 to 8:30 pace for the following miles. The scenery for this race was just great. A good mixture of running through downtown Madison, the UW Campus, the Madison Arboretum and some attractive residential neighborhoods. I hit the 12-mile mark in 1:40:52 and I knew that I had enough gas left to break 1:50 if I pushed it. I came around the last turn and I knew that I'd make my time! What a great morning!
And, to top it all off, the medal doubles as a beer bottle opener!



No comments: